SHRINATH MANDIR, UDAIPUR

One of the most revered temples not only for followers of Pustimarg but also for all other sects of Hindus, the Shrinath Mandir located in Shrinathji Haveli, Udaipur is the first place where the Lord was housed after leaving Nathdwara.
After the coming of Shrinathji at Nathdwara and Dwarkadheesh in Medhpat, Aurangzeb was very annoyed with Maharana Rajsingh and attacked Mewar with full force. However, the Maharana defeated him and he never dared to return to Mewar.
In V.S. 1835 the Mevos of Ajmer Merwara attacked Mewar and indulged in brutal massacre. On the other hand, the Pindaris also entered Nathdwara and indulged in loot and destruction of lives and property. In V.S. 1858, defeated by Jaswantrao Holkar, Daulatrav Sindhia wandered in Mewar and came to Nathdwara. In his search, the army of Sindhia also came there. Seeing the unlimited wealth of Nathdwara, they demanded rupees three lac from the Goswami.
Realizing the gravity of the situation, the Goswami sent all the information in writing to the Maharana, who immediately sent several Rajas and Raos to Nathdwara. They in turn drove away the enemy. The Maharana asked the Goswami to bring Shrinathji to Udaipur.
To welcome Shrinathji, the whole town was decorated attractively. The public was highly elated. The Maharana was ready at the main gate to welcome the Lord. When the chariot reached the royal palace, the Maharana welcomed the Lord enthusiastically.
The Lord was housed in a small Haveli type temple. Later on, it was developed like the one in Nathdwara. For meeting all the expenses of the temple, Maharana Bheemsingh gave a lot of property as a permanent asset. This also included the maintenance of a Dharmshala. A stone edict lying in the temple is an evidence of this.
The architecture of the temple is not very elaborate but simple like a Haveli. The first place where a devotee arrives is named Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. It has also a Kabutarkhana, a place for pigeons. The different places in the temple have their own significance. One enters Kamal Chouk from the right hand side of Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. In the middle is the temple office and in the centre of the Chouk is the marble lotus. The lotus is considered to be auspicious in several ways.
In the Chouk there is also a small temple of Dauji. On the walls of the Chouk there are also beautiful paintings of Krishna Leela. In the shelves there are similar paintings covered with glass. There is also an edict dating V.S. 2007.
InOne of the most revered temples not only for followers of Pustimarg but also for all other sects of Hindus, the Shrinath Mandir located in Shrinathji Haveli, Udaipur is the first place where the Lord was housed after leaving Nathdwara.
After the coming of Shrinathji at Nathdwara and Dwarkadheesh in Medhpat, Aurangzeb was very annoyed with Maharana Rajsingh and attacked Mewar with full force. However, the Maharana defeated him and he never dared to return to Mewar.
In V.S. 1835 the Mevos of Ajmer Merwara attacked Mewar and indulged in brutal massacre. On the other hand, the Pindaris also entered Nathdwara and indulged in loot and destruction of lives and property. In V.S. 1858, defeated by Jaswantrao Holkar, Daulatrav Sindhia wandered in Mewar and came to Nathdwara. In his search, the army of Sindhia also came there. Seeing the unlimited wealth of Nathdwara, they demanded rupees three lac from the Goswami.
Realizing the gravity of the situation, the Goswami sent all the information in writing to the Maharana, who immediately sent several Rajas and Raos to Nathdwara. They in turn drove away the enemy. The Maharana asked the Goswami to bring Shrinathji to Udaipur.
To welcome Shrinathji, the whole town was decorated attractively. The public was highly elated. The Maharana was ready at the main gate to welcome the Lord. When the chariot reached the royal palace, the Maharana welcomed the Lord enthusiastically.
The Lord was housed in a small Haveli type temple. Later on, it was developed like the one in Nathdwara. For meeting all the expenses of the temple, Maharana Bheemsingh gave a lot of property as a permanent asset. This also included the maintenance of a Dharmshala. A stone edict lying in the temple is an evidence of this.
The architecture of the temple is not very elaborate but simple like a Haveli. The first place where a devotee arrives is named Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. It has also a Kabutarkhana, a place for pigeons. The different places in the temple have their own significance. One enters Kamal Chouk from the right hand side of Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. In the middle is the temple office and in the centre of the Chouk is the marble lotus. The lotus is considered to be auspicious in several ways.
In the Chouk there is also a small temple of Dauji. On the walls of the Chouk there are also beautiful paintings of Krishna Leela. In the shelves there are similar paintings covered with glass. There is also an edict dating V.S. 2007.
InOne of the most revered temples not only for followers of Pustimarg but also for all other sects of Hindus, the Shrinath Mandir located in Shrinathji Haveli, Udaipur is the first place where the Lord was housed after leaving Nathdwara.
After the coming of Shrinathji at Nathdwara and Dwarkadheesh in Medhpat, Aurangzeb was very annoyed with Maharana Rajsingh and attacked Mewar with full force. However, the Maharana defeated him and he never dared to return to Mewar.
In V.S. 1835 the Mevos of Ajmer Merwara attacked Mewar and indulged in brutal massacre. On the other hand, the Pindaris also entered Nathdwara and indulged in loot and destruction of lives and property. In V.S. 1858, defeated by Jaswantrao Holkar, Daulatrav Sindhia wandered in Mewar and came to Nathdwara. In his search, the army of Sindhia also came there. Seeing the unlimited wealth of Nathdwara, they demanded rupees three lac from the Goswami.
Realizing the gravity of the situation, the Goswami sent all the information in writing to the Maharana, who immediately sent several Rajas and Raos to Nathdwara. They in turn drove away the enemy. The Maharana asked the Goswami to bring Shrinathji to Udaipur.
To welcome Shrinathji, the whole town was decorated attractively. The public was highly elated. The Maharana was ready at the main gate to welcome the Lord. When the chariot reached the royal palace, the Maharana welcomed the Lord enthusiastically.
The Lord was housed in a small Haveli type temple. Later on, it was developed like the one in Nathdwara. For meeting all the expenses of the temple, Maharana Bheemsingh gave a lot of property as a permanent asset. This also included the maintenance of a Dharmshala. A stone edict lying in the temple is an evidence of this.
The architecture of the temple is not very elaborate but simple like a Haveli. The first place where a devotee arrives is named Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. It has also a Kabutarkhana, a place for pigeons. The different places in the temple have their own significance. One enters Kamal Chouk from the right hand side of Goverdhan Pooja Chouk. In the middle is the temple office and in the centre of the Chouk is the marble lotus. The lotus is considered to be auspicious in several ways.
In the Chouk there is also a small temple of Dauji. On the walls of the Chouk there are also beautiful paintings of Krishna Leela. In the shelves there are similar paintings covered with glass. There is also an edict dating V.S. 2007.
In Kamal Chouk is the main door leading to Dol Tibari. There are stone elephants on either side of the door. Earlier there used to be just one door but now there are seperate ones for men and women. The main door of Dol Tibari is studded with jewels. Devotees have ‘darshan’ of the Lord from this Tibari. For having ‘darshan’ conveniently, there are raised wooden platforms in the Tibari. The exit after ‘darshan’ is through Kirtaniya Gali.
Passing through Dol Tibari one enters the Nij Mandir, main temple, and Mani Kotha where Seva Pooja of the Lord is performed.
There is also a Gaushala and a well that provides water for the Lord’s seva. The other places include Kanak Vatika, Prasad Bhandar, Khasa Bhandar and Parikrama.
According to the tradition of Pustimarg Sampradaya, no temple other than Nathdwara can have an idol or its replica. In Udaipur is a black color Shila and its Shringar is done in such a way that it looks like an idol. However, there can be a picture of the Lord that can have all the Shringar. This is the practice that is being followed in the temple in Ghasiar.
Every day there are eight ‘darshan’ and all of them turn out to be big celebrations as rituals such as the costume, Shringar and Bhog change every day as laid down in detail in the manual of Pustimarg. Rajbhog Darshan has a special attraction as it is open for a longer period. As Shrinathji is the Baalroop, child form, of Lord Krishna, special care of Bhog is taken to suit his taste. His costume is changed in keeping with the seasons. For his entertainment and as part of Bhakti different Ragas are sung and musical instruments played at different time of the day. The Bhajan composed by his eight poet devotees are sung. In the Kirtaniya Gali is Gaadi, seat of the Kirtankars.
In different months of the year, fascinationg celebrations called Utsavs and Manoraths are held in which a huge number of devotees from far and near take part with great enthusiasm.
One big festival in the Mandir is the birthday of the Lord. Krishnajanmastami starts with four ‘darshans’ namely Mangla, Snan, Shringar and Rajbhog followed by Uthapan and Bhog Aarti and then Janma Darshan continue till midnight. At midnight, Aarti is waved in the presence of a large number of devotees. Panchamrit and Panjari are distributed.
So deeply devoted are a huge number of persons to the Lord that they begin their day only after his morning ‘darshan’ and feel that he fulfills all their wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *